We are upgrading the website & are unable to process any orders at this time but hope to be back online as soon as possible. see more >>

Duvet Fillings Explained

Having a comfortable duvet is one of the main factors in getting a good night's sleep.

Below is Yorkshire Linen's simple guide to the different duvet fillings available. If you're unsure of which duvet filling you'd prefer, take a read and hopefully we can point you in the right direction.


Hollowfibre duvets

Hollowfibre is a synthetic, man-made material consisting of millions of individual strands. Each strand has a hollow centre which traps air, giving it lift and trapping warmth at the same time.

Hollowfibre duvets are a practical choice for allergy sufferers. The hollowfibre filling is man-made and anti-allergenic, which is ideal for people who cannot sleep with feather duvets.

Another major benefit to allergy-sufferers is that hollowfibre duvets can be machine washed at 60 degrees – the temperature at which dust mites are killed.

Duvets with man-made fillings tend not to last as long as those with natural fillings, such as down down and goose down, but they do offer equivalent levels of warmth and comfort for less cost.

In terms of weight and feel, hollowfibre duvets offer the same level of warmth at less weight than down duvets. They also feel a bit stiffer than down duvets and will tend to retain their shape more during the night.


Duck feather and down duvets

Duck feather and down is the cheapest of the natural duvet fillings. As the name suggests the filling is made up of part duck feather and part duck down. Down is the layer of fine feathers found underneath the outer feathers of most water birds. It is one of the best insulators against cold, making it a popular choice of filling for duvets. Duck feathers will usually include the quills and are neither as soft as down or as good at insulating heat, however, when combined with duck down they make a soft, warm and durable duvet filling.

Goose down

Goose down is lighter in weight than duck down but offers the same level of warmth due to superior heat insulating properties. Geese from colder climates, such as Hungary and Siberia, produce down in bigger clusters and this filling is considered the most luxurious.

To be classed as a true goose down duvet the filling must be at least 90% goose down, the remaining 10% will likely be goose feather.

Goose down duvets are very durable and should, if cared for correctly, last for 20 years or more.